Happy one week birthday, Taylor Lynn! You are the cutest, cuddliest, best baby ever. Your dad and I love how you like to snuggle with us and how funny you are when we get your kisses! I can't believe it's already been a week since I had you! I love you beyond measure & I know your dad agrees.
What I've Learned in my First Week as a New Mom:
1. Delivery is the easy part. Knowing what to do with them afterwards is the hard part.
2. I have a great newfound respect for single moms. It was hard for us with us plus Dustin's parents here...I cannot fathom doing all of this alone.
3. Pregnancy hormones are insane but the post-partum hormones put them to shame. I cry at the drop of a hat. I get easily overwhelmed. But I just have to stay focused on Taylor.
4. A Boppy pillow is a must have.
5. The arm & hammer diaper genie is the greatest invention ever.
6. Breastfeeding did not work out for us and that's okay. I felt extremely guilty that I could not provide something so basic for my own daughter, but soon realized (after several breakdowns) that as long as she is happy, healthy, eating, gaining weight, and alert, that is ALL that matters. I'm not a bad mom because I didn't breastfeed and I refuse to let any book or person tell me that I am. If my baby is happy, I am happy.
7. Having family help the first week home was essential to our sanity.
8. My mother in law is amazing. My own mother is also amazing. I feel very lucky to be a part of their mom club now.
9. I have never felt like more of a woman than I have since I gave birth. It's such a beautiful experience.
10. I was very lucky to have my baby at a wonderful place like MCA.
11. I love how dependent my daughter is on me and her dad. I love how she studies us and wants to cuddle instead of do anything else. I could cuddle her forever.
12. My husband is an amazing father.
13. The best sounds I heard this last week were my husband walking around Taylor's room showing her how we decorated it specifically for her.
14. DVR is a great invention. As are late night law and order marathons.
And last but not least:
15. I cannot fathom someone going through this experience and not believing in or understanding God's place in our lives. I've never felt closer to Him in my life. He has designed us in the most perfect way. He made us to have babies so that we could share His goodness with our children. I can't wait to share Jesus and His love with baby Taylor. God is so good! He knitted us together in our mother's womb. He knew us before we were born. Anytime I feel overwhelmed or sad or don't know what to do, my hope is that I remember to look to and trust in Him and know that he will help me know exactly what to do.
Thank you Jesus for your love and mercy and for the great gift of baby Taylor!
2 comments:
Whitney,
What wonderful insights and lessons you have learned only in 1 week!! Can you imagine how many more await you?
Thank you for sharing these precious thoughts.
Stacy
I am loving, reading your blog!
Enjoy these times, they grow up fast and time flies by.
Don't feel bad about not being able to breastfeed. Neither of my girls were breastfeed and they have turned out perfectly fine.
Just keep loving that sweet newborn.
Charissa
Post a Comment