Thursday, July 21, 2011

Our Little Red Raider

We took Taylor on her first trip to Lubbock!  We had a great time.  We started off the trip by meeting my dad (Pops) in Abilene on his way back from Lubbock to Arlington.  Tay liked sitting outside the Cracker Barrel and rocking.  Then we drove on to Lubbock straight to...you guessed it....TACO VILLA!
For those of you who haven't been to West Texas and/or haven't experienced the joy that is Taco Villa, you're missing out!  It's the best fast Mexican food on the planet...seriously.  We ate taco burgers and bean burritos...YUM.  I could eat there every day when we are in Lubbock!  Next we were off to my favorite bakery (yes, even more than Sprinkles) Mrs. Camps.  My mom and I used to go there after school when I was growing up.  Almost all my birthday cakes came from there!  It's amazing and they make everything from scratch.

We had some cookies, cake squares, and croissants (is it any wonder I gain like 10 pounds every time we go to Lubbock?).  We also went back there a few days later to buy Taylor's 3 month birthday cake (I know it seems silly, but every month is important to us!).  We did more than just eat while we were in Lubbock, even though it seems like that's all we did!  We saw lots of friends and family, such as my best friend growing up, Leah, our friend from college, Jamee, some friends from church, Mark and Kathy, and Dustin's best friend and his wife, Andy and Robyn.  Being in Lubbock makes me miss all of them! 

Taylor enjoyed seeing all of those people, but she really enjoyed spending time with her great grandmother and Papa and Mimi!  Mimi bought her lots of clothes while we were there.  Papa swam with her and played with her a lot.  Taylor really likes to talk to Mimi...she has lots to say!  We aren't sure what Taylor was telling her, but it seemed important.  We had so much fun seeing her grandparents!

And of course, we took her to Red Raider Land!  Taylor had her first visit to Texas Tech.  She even had on a Tech outfit!  We have some super cute pictures, but unfortunately blogger is not letting me upload any more of them.  I guess I'll try again later!

As far as Taylor goes, she is starting to roll over from her tummy to her back.  She is talking a lot more and making lots of cute noises!  She sleeps through the night now (most of the time) and she is eating a lot!  She also has started to laugh out loud, which is the greatest sound in the world.  She loves to be read to (I just bought her "Brown Bear Brown Bear" today, which she and dad already read!  She also loves things that make noise and have bright colors.  She can turn towards different voices and she knows when Dustin or I am talking to her.  She likes to be held, but she will sleep and stay in her stroller most of the time if she has to.  She loves watching sports with her daddy and she still loves to sleep on us.  But she is sleeping at night in her crib and has done a great job.  We just love her and are so lucky to have such an amazing baby!  Praise the Lord for the good things He has done. 

I stumbled upon a blog by a Dallas couple who are our ages and had an 8 month old son.  I say "had" because he just passed away this past Sunday, the day I happened to read this blog.  I started at the beginning, 4 weeks ago, when their son was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  It's amazing...four weeks ago, they were a normal happy family with a new healthy baby.  Four weeks later, he was gone.  Their writing was powerful and the strength and honesty that they showed was inspiring.  I cannot fathom losing Taylor after 8 months.  It seems so unfair and wrong.  This blog made me sad, but it also helped me to remember that God is in control. I have no idea about these people and where they are spiritually; I have no idea if they are believers, but if they aren't, I hope God uses this to bring them closer to Him.  If they are, I hope they get even deeper in their walk with Him.  This family has really been on my mind since I read about them.  If you have time, check out their blog:  http://www.jamescamdensikes.blogspot.com/.  Start at the beginning, and read through their posts (have your tissues ready!).  And then pray for them. 

The David Crowder song "Oh How He Loves Us" has been on my mind lately because of this family.  It can be an incredibly hard thing to remember during hard times, but it is true ALL of the time.  If you haven't heard this song, PLEASE go listen to it!  Here are the lyrics:

He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden, I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us oh
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

We are His portion and He is our prize
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If grace is an ocean, we're all sinking
So Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I don't have time to maintain these regrets
When I think about the way

And oh, how He loves us oh
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all
Yeah, He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves us,
Oh how He loves.

No comments: