Friday, August 08, 2008

A New Year, A New Class, A New Start

School starts in a few weeks, and as I'm preparing for this year, it's causing me to think back to my previous classes. This will be my third year teacing third grade. I can't believe it's been that long already! I have been so blessed to be at a school in which the women I work with are unbelievable strong Christian women. I may not have a great day everyday, but I know that if I fall, my coworkers are there to catch me.

I have had great classes both years. Maybe that's because I'm an optimist and I know that I can handle anything that comes my way because God's on my side. Or maybe I've just been lucky; I don't know. My first year, I had a class that was amazing. My kids were a great mix and we had so much fun. They would laugh when I didn't know things and had to go ask other teachers. We cried together, laughed together, and learned together. I will never forget those kids. This past year was more of a struggle because of one student in particular. He was a daily test of my patience, love, strength, and basically every fruit of the spirit that I posses. God really taught me how to lean on Him. There is NO way I would have made it through the year without the help of my Lord and Savior. I remember praying every day on the way to work that I would have a good day with this student. That I would be able to reach him and show him the love that he couldn't get at home. I know that I made a difference in this child's life, even if I can't see it right now. He challenged me in ways I didn't know I could be challenged. Thankfully the rest of my students were wonderful and made my days great.

I'm currently praying for my new crop of students. I can't wait to see what God throws at me this year. I know it will be interesting, fun, challenging, and new. That's the best part of teaching--every year is different. Heck, every DAY is different. You never know what kids are going to do!

No comments: